The one thing I really miss about my pre coeliac days is been able to pick up the phone on a lazy Sunday evening and order a take away because I can’t be bothered cooking. Those days for me are long gone, I’m not lucky enough to live within an delivery catchment area of a good take away that caters fully for a gluten free diet.
Despite this I still order from my local curry house but instead of getting the whole meal I just order the curry, which is naturally gluten free. I can normally cook up a batch of these chapattis before the delivery guy knocks on my door with my delicious curry. Although this puts an end to my lazy Sunday night it’s a good compromise which means I still get to eat my take away the way I like it.
Makes around 12 – I tend to make these for the whole family because it’s cheaper, easier with two coeliacs and the none coeliacs prefer them over the take aways own. You can half the ingredients if you just want to make 6.
- 350 grams of doves gluten free brown bread flour (plus a little for dusting)
- 1tsp of xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dried chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 400 ml boiling water
- Place the flour, salt, dried chopped garlic, xanthan gum and sunflower oil into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and add the water. Mix with a wooden spoon then use your hands until the mixture has formed a dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and kneed for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts, roll into a small ball then using a rolling pin roll out on a lightly floured surface until they are about 15 cm in diameter.
- Stack them on plate with kitchen roll between each one to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- Once they are all rolled out place a frying pan on a high heat to warm up.
- Once the pan is hot, fry each chapatti for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Place the cooked chapatti in foil with a sprinkle of water (dip your finger into water and flick it on the foil).
- If the chapattis are cook before the curry arrives then you can place the foil parcel in the oven on a very low heat to keep warm.
Serve with your favourite curry either from the take away, super market or home made.
Doves gluten free brown bread flour is available in shops but it took 5 visits to different supermarkets to find it, now I just order it for here in bulk Doves Farm- Gluten & Wheat Free- Brown Bread Flour 1 kg (Pack of 5)