I make two versions of these this is the low salt baby led weaning version, which my daughter loves and I love the convenience of popping them in her lunch box to feed her while out and about. The normal version can be found under snacks.
Makes about 15 straws
- 50g of unsalted butter
- 100g of gluten free plain flour (I’ve used doves, Asda and glutafin multi purpose white mix)
- 75g of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoon of milk
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f / gas mark 6
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the flour into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into small squares and add to the flour. Using your hands rub the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the cheese and make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a jug. Pour two thirds of the mixture into the well. Stir the mixture until a dough forms, add a little more of the egg mixture if necessary but keep some back for the glaze.
- Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead it for a few minutes until the ingredients are equally mixed.
- Roll the dough into thick straw shapes about 10 cm long and place them on the prepared baking tray about 2cm apart.
- Brush the straws with the remaining egg and milk mixture and bake for 10-15 minutes until pale golden in colour.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool store in an air tight container or serve.
Hope you little ones enjoy these as much as my daughter does.